Friday, May 18, 2007

Apocalypto

Buy From Amazon So, have you guys seen Apocalypto yet? We watched it a few weeks ago, and I'm still sort of processing it. The filming was beautiful, and the story was epic. But the violence was a little too graphic for me. It joins Requiem for a Dream at the top of my list of films that need to be seen once (and only once) for that reason. 

I won't say too much about the plot, except that it chronicles some of the final days of the Mayan civilization as it deteriorated from both within and without through the eyes of Jaguar Paw, a young man from a small jungle village. There is a gruesome human sacrifice scene (that was really eerie to see, having recently watched a Discovery Channel special on the Aztec Temple of Blood in which they showed how it was possible for over 20,000 people to be sacrificed in a 4 day period) that shows the depths possible of man's inhumanity towards man, but also some truly heroic moments when human dignity was powerfully affirmed.

I was intrigued by the theme of fear in the movie. The turning point for Jaguar Paw seemed to be the moment when he stopped and said "I am not afraid." He almost miraculously turned from helpless prey to cunning foe. For me, it was almost too dramatic a turn, and I'm not really sure what Gibson's point was meant to be. Any thoughts?

 If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it, but if you have a sensitive stomach I'd definitely take along someone who is willing to watch and tell you when it's safe to open your eyes.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Jasie,

One of Jonathan's best friends worked on Apocalypto (he's an aspiring cinematographer). We haven't seen it yet, but keep meaning to. I'm just not too excited about watching something that graphic...

On another note, I totally agree with you about "Requiem for a Dream." Ugh.