Tuesday, March 06, 2007

PostSecret

There is a site where people mail in postcards revealing a secret that is a) true and b) heretofore undisclosed. Looking through some of them nearly brought me to tears, and brought a lot of things to mind... here are my initial thoughts, not worked through to completion by any stretch.

First, it made me wonder (yet again) about the role of technology in our lives these days. Are we so far removed from community and meaningful relationship that the only way we feel free to reveal our 'true selves' (by which I don't mean in any way to reduce the self to a deep dark secret - we are much more than our shame, even though we tend to want to reduce ourselves to it. See John 4 - Jesus identified one area of the Samaritan woman's life, and she went and told the town that he 'told her everything [she] ever did.') is anonymously? And then what about the paradoxical desire to broadcast it via the internet to hundreds of thousands of viewers? I'm sure that there is pychological merit to the simple act of disclosure, but then what? Another anonymous voice offers their support; and while the gesture is lovely, what meaning does it have? Is sentiment enough, or do we need actual, physical people to embody the love and forgiveness in our lives?

And on the 'God level' - the need for confession seems to be such a deeply rooted element of humanity. We desire to be known in all of our beauty and all our depravity, and be accepted. We can certainly find some measure of that in other people - and I think we need to! - but somewhere the radical news of the grace of God has got to enter the discussion.

It needs to be said that not all of the secrets are tragic - some are funny, some are inoccuous, but the ones that screamed at me seemed to be cries of pain. That said, I do admire Frank Warren's commitment to hopeline, a helpline for people contemplating suicide, and I think he's likely helped a ton of people. I'm less critiquing the project than the culture that created a need for it.

Please comment with your thoughts, I'd really love to hear what you think!

Listening To: Sufjan Stevens

5 comments:

Greg said...

Thanks for your insights and comment. Seeems to me that technolgy can get in-between us if we let it. Impoverishment in human relationships abounds thus perhaps the need for telling a 'secret' in a private manner. Nothing could be worse than exposure, many think, as it can only lead to rejection. But the grace of God can open new possiblities for daring to reveal who we are and hopefully Christians will respond with open arms to those who, as themselves, are dying for grace.

Jasie said...

I agree that exposure is terrifying, and often causes us to create elaborate masks to wear in our various relationships. But I find so curious this new method of exposure/voyeurism that technology has enabled... in art, like this project, as well as on TV, with the proliferation of 'reality' programs, broadcasting our shame/vulnerability in a way that in some ways detaches any true vulnerability from the act. We don't have to own up to ourselves in any real way that allows other people to respond - we remain atomistic individuals, confessing to everyone and no one at the same time. While maybe eliminating/diminishing the possibility of rejection, it seems to also curtail our chances for true acceptance.

Anonymous said...

Amen,brother! I I think your comment to Greg hit the nail on the head. There is definitely a God given part of us that knows we've sinned and an innate desire for confession and forgiveness. But ,as in so many other areas, we've settled for a cheap,easy substitute-hence a meaningless cry for help and understanding and cleansing directed to no one in particular because we don't know (or deny) the source of all those feelings.
Lael and Rick interviewed the author and felt it was one of their most interesting programs. Check out their podcast. I'll send you the address as soon as I look it up-I don't know how to do that without losing everything I've written! Mom

Anonymous said...

Here is the link to the interview:
http://www.thethingsthatmattermost.org/gallery11052006.htm

Love the blog.

My name is April. said...

I am a weekly viewer of PostSecret. Every Monday morning I log on to view the weekly secrets. Just like you, I have a million curiosities, concerns, and observations about the project.
Sometimes when I read people's secrets I realize that those are my secrets also. It's strange when that happens. Show me anywhere else in the world that you can find such blunt honesty!? I feel like there's something about that release of shame, there's something strong about it. Sometimes I feel like I can look at those postcards and something happens in my heart, something that says, "it's okay" to both me and the artist of that secret. And what's even more bizarre, is that I often feel like that artist can receive my understanding and acceptance.
It's almost as if we are all forgiving each other.

But isn't it strange that we can't bring ourselves to reveal our secrets to even ONE close friend, but we can anonymously expose our deepest darkest shame to the whole entire world?!!!
And truly, what IS the benefit? Are we forgiven? Are we set free?
And here again is YOUR big question: What is technology doing to us? Is this enabling truly beneficial?

Anyways, here are some of my conclusions:
Perhaps Postsecret is a starting point. Perhaps this project is an avenue to remind us that we are not alone in our wretchedness, or we aren't the only embarrassed, tortured, violated, morbid human beings in this world. Maybe Frank Warren has created a network for us to gain strength to continue on in our pursuit of freedom.
Each week I wonder if these secret artists find further strength to confront their loved ones? Maybe the PostSecret community understands/accepts/affirms the artists so that they CAN finally let go of their mask officially, human face to human face.

Lastly, I'll say this. In most cases, people come to know and love God by FIRST being in relationship with other human God-loving people. It is through relationships, being real, joys, tears, that we catch a bigger picture of God and our need for him. Are those relationships salvific? No, but they are the helping hands that bring a person to the ultimate savior. Perhaps the PostSecret project does that same thing. I can only hope that the release and freedom doesn't stop on some webpage, but causes a person to continue exploring the greatness of finally being free.

Anyways, there are some of my thoughts:)