Monday, July 30, 2007

What A Surreal Afternoon...

Julian, Benny & I

This afternoon I was sitting in the office, working on some projects I've been putting off when the phone rang, effectively shattering the normality of the rest of my day. The voice on the other end of the line announced himself as the director of security for Benny Hinn, who would like to come by this afternoon and see l'abri. This didn't really ring any immediate bells, except for reminding me of some jokes I've forgotten the punch line to, so I told him that we didn't have any students but he would be welcome to come by and see the grounds, etc. I hung up and went back to digitizing tapes, only moments later realizing that wait, I do know who Benny Hinn is. Seconds later the phone rang again, informing me that he would like to come and they were leaving Geneva right then. I said come on, and then ran to the living room to inform Julian and Katie that we were gonna have us a bonafide TBN superstar in our midst shortly. We immediately headed back to the office to do a little quick research on the man before he arrived, and then we waited. And waited. And laughed. And waited.

They were lost. Very lost. It took them three hours and countless phone calls to navigate the trail from Geneva to Huemoz, but it was all worth it when they arrived and we saw 5 bodyguards, 6 assistants, and a couple of other 'somethings' spill out of the bus and car, led by Benny himself, dressed in fitted black pants, a snazzy button up, purple leather jacket and diamond studded sunglasses. Seriously. There were diamonds on his sunglasses. Julian will back me up.

Benny and PriscaAfter giving them a tour and a brief history of l'abri, we headed to Prisca's, who had graciously offered to meet and greet for a bit. They were just thrilled to meet someone directly related to Francis Schaeffer, who they seemed to idolize despite knowing very little about him and having not read any of his books. But he was famous, so does it really matter what for?

Watching Prisca and Benny was incredible. It was like the death match between Image and Substance. I'd say substance won, hands down. A few favorite moments? Him: Can you believe some of these young kids have never of Francis Schaeffer? Her: Well, I've never heard of you. Him: Maybe I can bring some cameras and film something down in the chapel. Her: NO! That would ruin everything. These kids are trying to escape things like you put on. Him: I am so honored to have met you, what a privilege, etc. Her: It was nice to meet you too, but I'm just me, you know.

After we left her place, I took them down to the chapel, where they oohed and aahed over all the books and listened to a bit of a tape of Schaeffer's, just so they could hear his voice. Some of that stuff just weirds me out, I must say. Afterwards, we headed back up the hill, but Benny got winded so he had the bodyguards stop traffic so the bus could pick him up where he stood.  Before he left, he offered a thank you and had his security guy dig a couple more hundreds out of his bag as a tip. We felt a little like it was dirty money, but I have to admit, we took the gift.  

You know, despite the fact that I have more problems with his ministry than I can even begin to describe here, he seemed like a nice enough man, and his staff all seemed devoted. Julian, Katie, Julie and I headed immediately up to Villars for dinner and debriefing. I'm not even coming close to doing the experience justice here, it was two worlds colliding in a pretty major way.

If you don't know who Benny Hinn is, here is a quick video that seems to catch the essence of his ministry...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

man! why all the best things happen when i'm not at l'abri...
do me a favor, next time you give a detailed account of this night, could you tape yourself?
that way i can replay it on my next visit...
by then, i'm sure, you'll be sick of telling it and i will be left with kay's version of it.

Anonymous said...

no way, jas. no way. I'm at work just about dying right now. I can only imagine. Love Prisca's responses. Benny Hinn...amazing. Pretty sure there was a section about him in "The Sinner's Guide to the Evangelical Right." I believe now would be an appropriate time to read it. wow...

valerie said...

WILD! I'm pretty bummed that I missed this VIP visit by only a couple of weeks myself. Laughing my head off... especially at the "I've never heard of YOU" part. :)

Anonymous said...

Classic moment right there jasie. can't wait to hear you tell it in person.

My name is April. said...

Oh my gosh! I think I would have had a hard time meeting him. Prisca is right...so many students come to L'Abri to escape and free themselves from his type of ministry/theology. On the other hand, extending grace towards people is so important. I can't help but laugh as I imagine those moments for you.

GLOwen said...

daniela's first line just ran through my head when i first read your initial intro to this...but shoot, i totally can hear you all doing this in the lounge. schucks, we shouldnt have thrown the schaeffer couch, he could have sat on it and had some experience of 'schaeffer' himself in obscure and wild places.
can i just say, i could totally hear prisca say those things. too bad he didnt talk to gian...im sure he would have gotten some conversation there:)

GLOwen said...

um, btw, youre really really tanned!
what the heck is going on???!