Saturday, February 24, 2007

My Perfect Morning

Praise in Creation
by Gerald Manley Hopkins

Glory be to God for dappled things --
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced -- fold, fallow, and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

 

I woke up early this morning, wrapped myself in my favorite fluffy white terrycloth robe, and headed to the balcony to say hello to the day. The birds were chirping effusively (all of nature believes it is spring), greeting the sun as it crept over the eastern peaks. Brewing a fresh cup of coffee to warm my hands and grabbing a bowl of muesli (oats, yogurt, nuts & fruit - my favorite breakfast goo), I settled back on my wooden chair, propped my feet up on the railing, and pondered this garden of aesthetic delights that we are so privileged to live in.

(The picture didn't do it justice, so I took a video to capture the birdsong. The quality is not great, but you get the idea...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I was there with you! So happy that you appreciate not only the wonders of creation but also the God who created them. What a good way for both you and God to start the day!

Love you!
Mom

My name is April. said...

Aww, gosh how much I wish I could be eating that muesli with you!

Justin said...

oh man... what I would give to be hanging out on that same porch with you watching the sun rise, with a nice cold OJ and some tunes on.

and the wonderful "thing" we call breakfast gooooo

Love ya,
Your kid bro Justin