Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Summer Storms - Part 2

Overcast DaysYesterday I told you about our little (actually, according to Greg, the biggest since he's been here) hail storm in Huemoz. Like a lot that's going on in the world these days, even though it was beautiful it was destructive. It tore up much of the l'abri vegetable gardens, and no doubt hurt lots of local producers that rely on their harvests for income. This in turn will drive up our food costs even more.

Not a unique tune, and certainly not even close to the volume of  damage that the flooding in the Midwest is causing. I don't even know how to begin praying in the face of such overwhelming destruction: China, Myanmar, the Philippines, the Midwest, California... it seems that almost daily there is more bad news. And that's just the weather! Attempts at eloquence when I pray have faded as words fail me, and I am left with the refrain:  "Lord, have mercy on us."

With the credit crisis, gas prices, food shortages, etc. times are tight for everyone. It seems like the forecast for our lives this summer is 'overcast'. Here at l'abri, as at many other non-profits, we are definitely feeling the crunch. We've already had a couple of months of salary reductions, and this month the hope is mostly that we will be able to pay all of our bills, much less any of our salaries. Please pray for us. Not only that we will get the donations that we need, but that this time will spawn a growth in trust. That the words of Jesus will gain new depth; that things like leaky roofs, squeaky brakes and the like wouldn't deter me or any of us here from seeking first God's kingdom. That all these things would take their proper context in God's providence, and that my feeling of scarcity wouldn't make me less generous. Already I find myself holding the money I do have a little more tightly.

I recognize that as a relatively affluent Westerner I've never even scratched the surface of 'need' in my life. Please pray also that this tightness in my chest as I face (somewhat minor in the scheme of things) uncertainty in my life would not breed doubt, but increase my compassion for those who truly want for the bare minimum to survive. And that this, too, would increase my generosity.

Thanks to all of you, the friends who read this blog and remember me (and l'abri) in prayer!

0 comments: