Saturday, June 14, 2008

License Plates and Religion

The Washington Post has an interesting essay by C.Welton Gaddy offering his take on the South Carolina decision to offer license plates with an image of the cross on them.

This paragraph pretty much sums up my view, as well:

SC Plate

Does not the government have other work to do that is more important and appropriate to its functions? Given the mortgage crisis, an economy teetering on the edge of inflation, joblessness, the status of public education, it boggles the mind that any legislature would debate crosses on a license plate.

What do y'all think: would you get one of these? Do you think they should be offered? What would you think if it was an Islamic motif? Or are you Switzerland on the subject?

1 comments:

reneamac said...

I think that if you want to get a specialized plate, you do that from the specialized plate places. Is that the state government? I really don't know; I've never had the desire to have a personalized plate.

At any rate, if personalized plates isn't something that the state usually does, than it seems silly.

All in all, I think I agree that it's a waste of the government's time.