Monday, June 04, 2007

Talent Night

Kay hosted high tea this evening, and after gorging ourselves on vast quantities of crepes, we had a talent show down in the chapel. It was spectacular... lots of musical acts and a bit of poetry. One of my favorite moments was when Jo, a student from South Africa, introduced a reading in Afrikaans, directing us by a small game of Simon Says to shut our mouths and close our eyes. She then read some portions from Cry, the Beloved Country, painting a beautiful picture of South Africa for us. I posted some videos on youtube, and I'll put them below if you would like to see our wonderfully talented students performing. My camera doesn't do great videos, but you should get the gist...

Peter, Philip and Andy (Andy's playing a mandolin)

Josh and Chris singing "I Love You"

Josh and Chris singing "I Can't Stop"

Andy (on piano) and Peter (on a native flute)

Sharon doing a poem about Canada (audio of her poem about Vicki and Ryan, 2 other students, is here. I accidentally hit the wrong setting on my camera...)

Max sharing his love of hip hop

Micah and Max beat boxing and freestyling

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

greetings Jasie, I have enjoyed your site so much. So good to hear of your father's progress. Blessings and hugs to all at L'abri Love, Jeannie

Eden said...

wow, you really got some musical talent there. i hope you don't have any early morning singers/strummers though

Anonymous said...

What a fun group! And how awesome is it that you can share it with those of us "across the pond"-thanks! If only you could figure out a way to let us share the crepes, too!
Love you,
Mom

Jasie said...

Aren't these folks amazing? I particularly love Josh's "I Can't Stop" song - every time he sings "I just can't stop trying to be funny. All my jokes are just like social money I keep spending", I crack up. I hope he doesn't stop - he amuses us all! But happily, he waits until after breakfast to start...

Anonymous said...

Great way to use techonlogy! It's funny this is what people see of L'Abri when searching Youtube. Little do they know you gotta have nights like these to make your brain settle down.