Friday, August 31, 2007

Mother Teresa

clip_image002[2]

I am told God loves me — and yet the reality of darkness & coldness & emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul.   --Mother Teresa

Time Magazine has an article about Mother Teresa and the new book of her letters to her spiritual confessors over the years, Come Be My Light. Many of her communications reveal a deeply felt absence of God, and her persistence in her faith and work in light of it is all the more astounding.

Most (all, I suspect) of us experience what Richard Foster calls a "Sahara of the Soul" at one point or another, although gratefully most of them seem to last for less than the 50+ years of Mother Teresa's.  I find these letters so encouraging, as I continue to grapple with my own doubts and the inevitable times when I feel like I'm talking to the air.  A similar sentiment was expressed by many in the article. Rev. James Martin says of the book, "It would be a ministry to people who had experienced some doubt, some absence of God in their lives. And you know who that is? Everybody. Atheists, doubters, seekers, believers, everyone." (See Also: Brian McLaren)

On the other side is Christopher Hitchens, an outspoken atheist, who reads the letters as additional evidence of the profound idiocy of faith:  "She was no more exempt from the realization that religion is a human fabrication than any other person, and that her attempted cure was more and more professions of faith could only have deepened the pit that she had dug for herself." (See Also: Sam Harris) There is also the psychological analysis, that "she punished herself with a crippling failure to counterbalance her great successes."

The overwhelming lack of feeling of closeness with Christ in Mother Teresa's life suggests that perhaps we should re-examine what faith is. Most know that it's not just a feeling, but how do we live our lives when the feeling isn't there? And what constitutes sufficient feeling? Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk, who put the book together, "thinks the book may act as an antidote to a cultural problem. 'The tendency in our spiritual life but also in our more general attitude toward love is that our feelings are all that is going on,' he says. 'And so to us the totality of love is what we feel. But to really love someone requires commitment, fidelity and vulnerability. Mother Teresa wasn't 'feeling' Christ's love, and she could have shut down. But she was up at 4:30 every morning for Jesus, and still writing to him, 'Your happiness is all I want.' That's a powerful example even if you are not talking in exclusively religious terms.'"

Personally, I'm grateful for the example and look forward to reading the book. As often as we talk about doubt, it is rare to have someone with such great spiritual maturity or in leadership be so open about their own struggles, except in a very general way. (See Also: Kamp Krusty) I should also mention, though, that Mother Teresa herself wanted these correspondences destroyed, but her wishes were overruled by the church. That decision is a whole other question, and while I'm grateful that they are being made available, I don't know what I think of it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I saw the headlines on the cover of Time I thought to myself, "Time is selling more copies and tarnishing Mother Theresa's image for their profit."
I didn't read the article, but Janie did and my Tuesday morning Bible study members did.
It became very apparent to me that as she felt abandanded by God so much of the time, she knew her charge and never wavered.
What a tribute to her.
JEP

Unknown said...

That was a shocking article,wasn't it? It was very unsettling to me for days actually. I can't imagine carrying those burdens without feeling the presence of Christ for 5 days,let alone for 50 years. Why God chose to distance himself (if he did), I will never understand, unless,of course,it was for the very example of faith and tenacity that it affords us.I'm not sure I could read the book,though.
Love you and thanks for bringing up the topic!
Mom

Greg said...

No doubt Mother Teresa did wonderful work and is an example to us in many ways. I'm very grateful for her life.

I think however, I would have some questions about Mother Teresa's spirituality. One, for example, is this. I just wonder about a statement to Jesus like, 'Your happiness is all I want'. Sounds somehow too narrow to be truly spiritual. Or is it?

Jasie said...

Greg -

I think that statements like the one you mentioned - just wanting Christ's happiness - does indicate something of a narrow spirituality, in the sense that when I think of happiness, I think of a transitory thing based on the happenings of the moment. So in that way, if a spirituality was reduced to works, it would definitely be less than the fullness that is promised in the Bible.

But on the other hand, I can't imagine being able to do what MT did without some sort of fullness of faith... it seems as though alone, one would just collapse under the weight of it all. Also, I read these as private letters never intended for public scrutiny, and as such it's difficult to know how much pressure to put on her theology based on them. I'm sure that if folks were to read some of the things I write in my dark desperate moments, they would question the quality of my faith! But then again, 50 years of letters displays something of a pattern rather than an occasional despair.

Which is all to say, I don't know how I would question or critique someone like MT's spirituality specifically, especially when her life was such an extraordinary one, but if someone were to come to me with similar patterns, I would probably have some questions and would try and point them towards the joy and rest that are also a part of the Christian life.