Friday, October 12, 2007

Welcome to the Mall of America

I touched down in the Minneapolis airport about an hour ago, 2/3 through with this seemingly interminable trip. Planes just make me claustrophobic. Now I'm sitting in the terminal, attempting to kill at least part of my four hour layover. Yikes!

So I am definitely an American, and I don't want to write this with the snobbery of one who has spent just enough time in Europe to pseudo-intellectualize about the pitfalls of American culture, but still, it has been somewhat stunning so far to be back, even just to the airport. The Geneva airport is spartan, the Amsterdam airport had lots of shops and souvenirs (and was seriously scary... the security check at the gate gave me hives. I spent about 10 minutes undergoing an interrogation that was terrifying despite having nothing to hide - and then getting felt up by an agent at the metal detector. Word to the wise - gum wrappers can set it off.), but the Minneapolis airport is a world unto itself. There are TVs all over the place broadcasting everything from CNN to ESPN to ET, chain stores and restaurants in every available nook and cranny offering all a girl could ever want, and even vending machines selling iPods and iPod accessories. Who spends hundreds of dollars at a vending machine???

But what was the most disturbing part of the trip so far was my experience at the customs gate. I was in line between two black men, and a young blonde customs agent doing a "random" check of passengers came and rudely interrogated them both. One of them she even harassed for wearing a hoodie and a cap. "Is it cold in here? Why are you wearing that parka?" The other man protested - rightfully so, I think - with the claim of "I'm an American. I should be able to go on vacation where I choose!"  Which got me thinking, as I considered the number of white folks I've heard griping about the 'politically correct' terminology of African-American, Asian-American, and all the others in use. After all, we're all just Americans, right? Well, no. Standing in line I realized again how the word "American" so often really means white. It's lovely to think that racism is dead and that we're all now equal under the law, but inequality is still very much alive and well, and it was not only disturbing to see the agent's more blatant racism in action, but to be made aware of my own complicity. Rather than speaking up, I was tired and just wanted to get through the gate without any delays or inconvenience, and so sat silent in the midst of the horrid display.

ETA: I've arrived safely in Bozeman and am excited for this little break with some new scenery and a couple of old friends. The couple I'm staying with are incredibly hospitable and gracious, and the lodging is pretty lush. I'm feeling pretty spoiled.

5 comments:

reneamac said...

I'm so glad you're feeling spoiled! Val and I are having fun in Amsterdam with Laura. We're thinking of you and glad you're having a good time thus far. Missing you and looking foward to seeing you.

GLOwen said...

isnt it interesting that airports are places where racism can be blatant...my friends who are of arabic descent (and they are both born in the US with no affiliations at all to any muslims since their Christians and their village in syria are identified as Christians..not that being muslim should be readily be reason for questioning, but not having this characteristic makes it the more of a nondiscriminant-no evidence-proof of wrongful questioning) were held up and questioned for 5hrs...is this being careful, or are we doing a witch hunt and just questioning everyone because we are not equipped to ID and hold back our own racism and prejudice...

Bethany Nash said...

I can't believe you were less than an hour from my house... I miss you!

big al said...

i can't believe you were less than a half hour from my house. miss you.

Kay said...

You're not a half hour or hour from my house, but I have been reading about Bozeman in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Sounds gorgeous. Glad you can be there!